Monday, June 17, 2019

Night sky Log

Well due to a certain module that I'm currently taking. Every night I have to look up to the night sky and record what I see.
For the past few days, there weren't much, to be honest. The second day was the best so far, I was able to see around 11 stars. 3 of those stars were in a straight line. The brightest star, the Orion, can be seen so far on all three days. This is my quick summary of my 3 days star gazing,

Day 1:
Very cloudy, can't see many stars. Only the Orion could be seen. The moon was full but it glows a strange orange-yellow glow. Not much to report

Day 2:
Cloud was clearer. Able to see multiple stars including Orion. There were 3 stars in a straight line observed. The three stars I believe were Mintaka and two other unknown stars. Apparently, I researched it form the constellation of Orion. Moon was same as day one
Constellation with Mintaka

Day 3:
Today was slightly disappointing. Was only able to see 3 stars scattered around. Partly due to the slight cloud above. The moon was not to be seen.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects

Day 4:
Location: My house
Description: No moon spotted. Managed to see more stars tonight even thou there were high rise building around.
Spotted the Orion and his belt. Bellatrix can be seen along with Sirius.
Manage to see the constellation Gemini today as well.
Overall a very good sighting today.

Day 5:
Today was slightly cloudy, so it didn't surprise me when I didn't see much stars today.
Location: My house
Manage to see Rigel, part of the constellation of Orion. Also, manage to see another star slightly further away from Rigel. No moon sighted. It is due to the cloudy sky that I'm unable to see the Orion.

Day 6:
Time: 10.33
I was slightly late due to a miscalculation in timing.
Location: Utown field
Compared to the NUS field, it's darker and easier to spot.
Managed to see around 13 stars. This including Orion belt and Sirius.
This is a screenshot of Stellarium at Utown.
Only Sirius and the faint glow of the orion can be spotted.




Day 7:
I didnt Manage to write a report for yesterday, so im writing it now.
Location: Utown
Time: 10.33


Today, managed to see 19 stars. This is exceptionally amazing. Did not expect to see that many stars. Managed to see the constellation of Orion clearly. Betelgueuse can be spotted as well.
Other Named stars:
>Pollux
>Sirus

My friend claimed that he is able to see Mars but I did not manage to get a clear shot of it.

Constellation Of Orion

The constellation of Orion taken from my iPhone XS

                                         







The three-star below Sirus that form a triangle (Adhara) can also be seen

Day 8:
31/1/19
Time:10.33
Location: Utown
Desc:
Today able to see multiple stars. Up to 31 stars with no sight of the moon.
Orion could be seen in full.

Stargazing period: 22/1/19 - 7/2/19


No comments:

Post a Comment